Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Carnival Tabanca!

The Tabanca always hits me the evening of Carnival Monday! : (
Earlier that day!

Carnival:

Tabanca : /taˈbaŋka/noun
[mass noun] West Indian: a painful feeling of unrequited love, typically for a former lover and causing unbalanced or violent behaviour.
Before: Carnival Monday Morning





After: Carnival Monday Evening
There are few things in the world that I feel are an absolute must “do” or “see,” but Trinidad carnival is one of those rare exceptions. Although I refer to my “budget” quite throughout this blog I often have a weak spot for all things carnival. One year I spent an unthinkable sum of money and time at airports to spend four glorious days in Trinidad for carnival. Unfortunately, I will not be in Port of Spain for the revelry this year because of my work schedule. While looking for a cure for my symptoms I ended up finding the diagnoses, carnival tabanca. I am LOVE SICK over Trinidad carnival.
1.       Constantly looking at old pictures and video’s from last year’s carnival ✓
2.       Looking at and/or trying on last year’s costume complete with music, whistle, and rag ✓
3.       Looking on trinidadcarnivaldiary.com for updates on all things carnival ✓
4.       Texting friends in Trinidad to ask about the latest songs and fetes nightly✓
5.       Constantly checking islandmix.com for local fetes ✓
6.       Busting out into a random wining sessions while doing laundry, eating, at work✓
7.       Feverishly checking kayak.com, and priceline.com, for airfare to other carnivals, Miami, Barbados’ Crop Over, Canada’s Caribana, Grenada, anywhere ✓
My heart is aching as the greatest show on earth is about to take place without me. I have already decided that I will be dressed in all black from Carnival Thursday right up until Ash Wednesday. If you can’t find me on Monday, March 7, 2011 look for me at the airport. I might be right alongside this guy. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...