Sunday, January 9, 2011

2011: The Year Of Taking Control

                                                                           Source
As I mentioned in my post on January 6th, my hair has been through a lot in the past couple of years. I have been natural since the summer of 2003, I have never really taken good care of my hair. Moreover, the last two to three years my hair shows signs of significant neglect and mistreatment; perhaps to a point of no return? It’s hard to reverse so many months of damage; however, since this July I have made the decision to simply wear my hair “out” (in its natural state) and for the past 7 months I have been making more of an effort to take care of my hair. Despite my steadfast resolution to be natural, I still face major frustration when dealing with my hair. It seems like no matter what I did it was not having of an effect, so I have made the decision to up the ante!
One of my all-time favorite bloggers, The Moptop Maven, has started a Healthy Hair Care Challenge for 2011 and I have decided to join-in and keep track of my trials, tribulations, and progress right here in this blog.
My Goals:
·         Less hair breakage and shedding. As of right now if I simply touch my hair I will be left with strands in my hand; I would like to put this to end.
·         Length Retention. Currently my hair is chin length in the front, and grazes my collar bone length in the rear when stretched. Ultimately I would like my hair to reach arm pit length by the end of the challenge.
·         Create “Stylish” Protective Styling. I try to keep my hair in protective styles most of the time; also I avoid applying heat to my hair, which as you know means that I‘m trading style for the safety of my hair. I live in New York City  the mecca of fashion and as a result I want to always feel and represent myself as a natural diva!
·         Wash/Detangle/Deep Condition Weekly. I’m on a bi-weekly schedule at the moment, but I think my hair could use a bit more TLC in this department .
·         Thicker, Longer, Stronger HAIR! Period! No explanation needed there. J
Moptop Maven goes into detail about three types of systems you can use with your hair in her blog. Traditional (using traditional hair care products that you can find in your beauty supply store and pharmacy), Natural (using products that you may buy in your local whole foods – products such as  shea butter and castor oil for example) and Ayurvedic (Using Ayurvedic herbs and oils such as Henna and Vatika Oil). I’ve decided to use all three practices while participating in this hair care challenge mainly because...I’m a recovering product junkie! In the last few months, I have used everything from Jamila Henna to Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme. I have a lot of hair products (okay -- maybe too many) and I don’t want to simply discard them all, so I intend to incorporate them into my new regimen. I’m truly excited by all the possibilities of joining-in on the challenge. I am hoping to see greater success with my hair in the year 2011.  I hope those of you who have decided to make some changes to your own hair regimen (or even joining-in on the challenge yourself) have much success as well. Here’s to a successful year to us all!!
For more details on Mop Top Maven's hair challenge please click here.


What are your hair goals for 2011? How do you intend to reach them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...