Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Weekend That Almost Broke Me

One of my resolutions to myself this year was to make this blog work.  It has been an undeniably challenging task because I work full-time at a ten to twelve hour a day gig and sometimes on the weekends.  However, I said to myself “…what’s life without a challenge.” And here I am.  Last Friday at work I was feeling ill, which was very unusual because I rarely get sick (knock on wood). I haven’t missed a day of work in over a two year period; but, there I was with a slight fever and body aches.  As soon as I got home I went  straight to bed. At some point during the night I woke up feeling worse than when I got home. I spent all of Saturday in bed as well and canceled plans that I made for the day in an effort to sleep off my illness. Sunday morning had arrived and I decided that enough was enough. I was going to make the best of the remainder of the three day weekend, so I took a shower and got dressed. I was still feeling a little under-the-weather; but, not enough to stop me from getting things done.  I got outside to find my car moved from the space in which I had parked it. Instead it was on the sidewalk with a police car nearby. The officer was speaking to a gentleman who I assume called them. My car was a crumpled mess. It had been hit overnight and left on the sidewalk. There was obviously no note just the lonely fender of the perpetrator’s vehicle left behind. 



My Car...as I found it Sunday Morning! 


 Passers-by started to take pictures, making comments to themselves and / or their companions. Some people offered their condolences as I stood there pretty much in state of shock. People, I don’t know what’s going to happen next with my car; but, I won’t let these few minor details stop my ever forward progress. I was supposed to attend Benjai’s show at Oceans Hall in Brooklyn this past weekend, getting a little taste of his new tunes Wine to the Side and my all-time favorite Trini and have a review here for you. 
The flyer...I am so sad that I missed it.


Instead in its place I have a message for you all: Don’t let ANYTHING get in the way of your goals, dreams, and aspirations. It’s ironic because I tell the students that I work with this EVERYDAY but now I have to do it myself and it's not as easy as it sounds. My life has changed; taking the subway to work has added another forty-five minutes to my long commute, money that I planned on using towards vacation and shopping will go towards a new car,  my hair was neglected this week, I missed a day of work, and days of posting on this blog. But, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I am still standing and smiling. 
Ok...so it's a half smile but you get the point. : )

This weeks hair style: a tuck and roll.

It's not my favorite but it will do.


 "Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome." - Booker T Washington


2 comments:

  1. I see ur still sliding cars in the snow, u need to find a new hobby, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was parkerd I'm innocent. : )
    Lol...I think I will stick to the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...