Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Out and About: New Years Eve with Machel Montano

There’s so much pressure when deciding where to be when the big ball drops and we enter into a new year. The last place you want to be is home on your couch (maybe this is just me…I’m not knocking those of you who enjoy this sorta thing J). If you’re anything like me, then you want to be dolled up ringing in the New Year in style!!! Twenty-eleven was particularly challenging for me because no one I knew had a definite plan, and my bank account was not long enough for a severe hit!
As a child of West Indian decent, I have grown-up making sure the house was super clean as we ushered in the new year. So there I was, cleaning my house and listening to 104.7FM; I am not sure how many of you listen to this station, but there are always advertisements for local parties and events. There was one event dubbed “Pitch Black” that caught my attention. Typically, this type of event would not spark my interest because, quite frankly, I think I am too grown to mix and mingle in just any crowd. But Machel Montano, my favorite  artist, was supposed to perform and I missed him dearly when I went to Trinidad last year for Carnival (apparently he decided he was not going to perform for the Carnival season). Thus, I made the decision to ditch the NYE cocktail dress, put on some boots, and head down to Paradise Park, in Brooklyn (aka Hoopland) to see my favorite artist perform.
 The Good:  Thankfully there are people who look out for me in my life; therefore, despite my “short” pockets, I was able to snag a VIP ticket (sold @ $75 per ticket) for this event. The person who sold me the ticket said “…it  was an all-inclusive food and drink party.” I was thrilled by the notion of entering the fete and not having to worry about a thing! The VIP section was elevated and it was center to the stage. There was a security guard that I swore was a  UFC fighter standing at the staircase.  I was early and one of the first few people there (more on that later). I was able to snag a great spot; right in front, with a clear view of the stage - and of course - all of the patrons below. Oh! I must  mention  that it was in fact an open bar. The bartender was pouring drinks (and collecting coats) all night. If you are a connoisseur of liquor, then you may have been disappointed by the all the shelf space and few bottles. However, I honestly wasn’t interested. The music was on-point and the genre’s varied.  I danced all night long!  Machel came on stage and tore it up; he showed the VIP section much love even though we were nowhere near him (and admittedly not as energized as the crowd below).  We were even graced by the presence of uniformed police officers in the venue. I felt super safe and had no worries!!


The Bad: I arrived early to ensure everything would be smooth and easy.  So how do you arrive at an establishment a little after 10 and they are not prepared to let the patrons enter? 
What I saw when I arrived...
 There were no greeters, no thank you for waiting patiently, no music, just me standing outside shivering in the cold winter weather.  I believe I stood outside for over an hour and not in the VIP section until about say 11:30pm; a whole hour and a half after I arrived.
Don't let the smile fool you...I was FREEZING!
 In addition, the countdown into the New Year (the reason I was outside in the first place), started without any fanfare,…no balloons, no confetti, no champagne toast!! Nothing! The MC did a countdown of some sort, but people were still trickling in and no one seemed interested. I understand it’s a fete, but it was still New Year’s Eve. I expect a little something! As always, VIP was a little bougie; but after looking at the pictures on Islandmix I guess I was the bougie one because there was some real madness going on behind me.
The Dirty: So….why would you dress up in your good clothes to go to an establishment with no indoor plumbing? Port –a –pottys indoors!?  I can’t even begin to explain how wrong that is.  
The restroom?
Why didn’t the VIP section have their own restrooms? Every time I had to go to the restroom I had to make my way down the spiral staircase and through the crowd. Furthermore, the food and snacks promised to me never arrived. Promoters: Please do not tell people you are going to have munchies and not deliver. Smh L. I had to wait until I got home to eat, which was disappointing to say the least.
The hair? Old twist out banana clipped with a hump. 

Overall….I had a great time. I really enjoyed ringing in my New Year with Machel! Would I go back?? Probably not without Machel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...