Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp--> Remix

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp


I’m on a budget! A tight budget! After missing Trinidad Carnival this year, and my car being totaled, I feel as if I have to treat myself to something grand.  Additionally, this is the first year that I have a WHOLE month off for summer vacation. I have every intention to make this grandiose vacation worthwhile. The lone thing missing is the funds to finance this grand excursion. This is where being on a “tight budget” budget comes in. I am not one of those people who can ration out money to different sectors of my life. Seeing the exact figures becomes a depressing and daunting task in my opinion. What I prefer to do is to cut corners and trim the fat (luxuries such as clothes and shoe shopping, eating out which includes buying breakfast and lunch at work to name just a few). Therefore I cook all of my own meals, which entails planning breakfast, lunch, and dinner ahead of time. Last Monday I had a taste for my favorite seafood, shrimp.  Armed with a recipe that I found on www.skinnytaste.com for Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp I went to the grocery store and commenced to buy ingredients; although, I adapted the list a little to suit my taste. 
Jasmine Rice & Shrimp
As I find more quick and easy recipes I will definitely share them with you all.
Ingredients:
·         1 tsp Olive Oil
·         2 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
·         1 tbsp  Curry Powder
·         2 cloves garlic, minced
·         1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
·         6 oz light coconut milk
·         2 tsp fish sauce (found in my local Asian fruit stand)
·         1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
·         salt to taste
·         cayenne pepper to taste
Directions:
I love shrimp...seriously
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Mix curry powder and a tablespoon of water until it forms a thick paste. Add scallion whites and sauté for one minute.
Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt, cayenne pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve hot.

 I also made some Jasmine Rice and followed the directions as listed on the box.  My ultimate goal was to create a dish that resembles something that I might find in a Thai restaurant.  In all, I found this recipe to be quick and easy to make and the food itself was simply delicious. I must admit that I was apprehensive about the fish sauce at first because I had never used it before.  Even though the bottle - nor its name – was very appealing, this ingredient truly brought an authentic taste to the whole meal.

Fish Sauce and Coconut Milk--a strange pairing.

When I picked it up at the Asian fruit stand the sales clerk seemed pleasantly surprised at my selection. He asked me if I was buying it and I replied “…yes. I found the recipe on a website.” He went on to explain “…this stuff is good. We use this in every meal.” This was the motivation I needed to help me get passed my reluctant feeling and perhaps it may help you as well.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think…  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...