Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Oh Bacchanal--44 days!


bacchanal n.
(as defined by The Skettionary) Trinidad & Tobago
Confusion or excitement. Derived from Bacchus, the Roman god of wine and revelry, analogous to the Greek god, Dionysious. Although the world can be found in conventional dictionaries, it takes on a special meaning when uttered by a Trini. It can be either good or bad, depending on the context. Bad: "there was plenty bacchanal when the man fin his wife wit de neighbour". Good: "De fete was real bacchanal, I had three woman wining on me" - Jason Joseph


I must admit it, Kerwin DuBois' latest contribution for the 2012 carnival season, Bacchanalist (on the Antilles Riddim), snuck up on me. The first few times I snubbed the tune and played Machel, Shurwayne, and Shal Marshal's tunes back to back. Once I started to listen to the words though I could have sworn Kerwin made the song with me in mind:

"Cause I fete in the night.Then go on the road.
We not stopping. We going whole day.
Now everybody watch me...I'se a Bacchanalist! I'se a Bacchanalist!
I want you to watch me...I'se a Bacchanalist! I'se a Bacchanalist!
I love plenty Bacchanal, Bacchanal, Bachannal, Bacchanal...."

If you see me in the streets of POS and this song starts playing...watch out!

; )

~Nelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...